Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Flip Flop Flap

I assume you've all seen this.

Now, although its never something I've made a big deal about, I hate flip-flops.  I don't just mean that I don't like to wear them (which I don't).  I really don't think they're terribly appropriate to wear out in public.  The beach or the pool, that's it.  So I can't help but chuckle over the whole brouhaha.

But there's another side of me that says, oh come on . . . what's the big deal?  I mean, I may not like flip-flops, but for whatever reason they've become very fashionable, and really, what the hell do I know about fashion? Plus I'm a weirdo who never wears any shoes that I can't wear socks with . . .(I even wear my socks to bed).  I mean, it's not like these girls were wearing beach bum flip-flops with their Joe's Crab Shack T-shirts and gym shorts.  These were high fashion flip flops that they probably payed (a quite ridiculous) fifty bucks for, and were otherwise quite well dressed.

Of all the things that the major media should be making a big deal about (Iraq, the London bombings, the Carl Rove scandal, etc), complaining about flip-flops should be left to chumps like me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely sympathize with the sock thing. I wear my socks to bed as well. I'll walk around barefoot most of the time in the summer, but when bedtime comes, 9 times out of 10, I put socks on before I get under those covers.

- Hoser

7/21/2005 02:17:00 PM  
Blogger the Glory Girl said...

I look at it this way: women bitch about men wearing tennis shoes with everything. Flip flops are the female equivalent of tennis shoes. I hate seeing guys dressed up for dinner wearing suits and sneakers, and I hate seeing girls dressed up for dinner wearing tea dresses and flip flops.

I also wear socks to bed. My circulation isn't that great, and my tiny feet get cold.

(And yes, there are more *important* things to focus on, but we need frivolties to balance things out.)

8/01/2005 03:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home