Thursday, August 25, 2005

Not to sound like a racist or anything . . .

Another school year began yesterday.  I went to my first class, Artificial Intelligence.  (As an aside, this is actually the third time I've taken a class by that name, yet this one is completely different from the other two, which were nothing alike themselves.  That is one of the reasons that I find the field so interesting.)  I walked into the room and took my usual seat (back corner).  I gazed around the room at my fellow classmates, and noticed an interesting phenomenon.

Everyone is white.

In the year and a half that I've been in Graduate School at UAH, I've never taken a class in which I was not a minority.  Normally, about half the class is Indian, with a handful of Koreans and a couple of African Americans.  That leaves about a quarter of the class to the national majority.  Now, this is not something I have a problem with, it's just the way things are.  Except, apparently with AI.

Eventually, one Indian student came in, but he's a guy that I've had classes with before who is very well spoken and Americanized.  Even the two instructors are both Americans.

So what does all this mean?  Nothing.  I just found it interesting.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home