Monday, July 07, 2008

The Rockets' Red Glare

My current favorite hobby is photography.  As such, I am always looking for new and interesting ways to experiment with my camera.  This past Friday, being the Fourth of July, presented an excellent opportunity.

Fireworks-64Now, one of my absolute favorite things in the world is playing with fire and explosives.  It is quite dangerous how much entertainment I derive from holding explosive devices in my hands.  I could care less about the spectacular air bursts.  I have far more fun with bottle rockets and fire crackers.  So it was with quite a bit of reluctance  that I decided to forgo that aspect of Independence Day festivities and instead focused on capturing some images of the show overhead.

My family lives on Gantt Lake in South Alabama.  And every year an ad-hoc but quite excellent fireworks show gets put on.  It seems like there is an unspoken competition between lake residents on opposite sides of the river over who can put on the best show.  As such, as things have escalated over the years, the result is higher quality entertainment than some professional endeavors.

So, armed with my tripod and some very long exposures, I set about to capture the evening.  Please enjoy my result.

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Davis said...

It's funny, I think a similar competition was going on between residents on Wheeler Lake up here. You know the weekend fireworks that sometimes happen at the Stars baseball games? Well the fireworks on the lake on July 4 could rival those.

The pictures are amazing! The squiggly sparkler ones are my favorites. Were you using a tripod?

7/07/2008 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger killajulz said...

Those pictures are awesome! Good job, Wiley.

7/08/2008 07:11:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@missy: Yes, I did use a tripod. I may have nerves of steel, but even I can't hold a camera still for a 5-10 second exposure. And I kept trying to get people to draw with their sparklers, but never could get the timing/exposure right for that.

@julie: thanks!

7/08/2008 07:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home