Thursday, April 21, 2005

I want my MTV

I often wonder if other people's brains work in the same way that mine
does. Quite often, I'll be sitting around, or in the shower, or in
bed trying to go to sleep, then all of the sudden, out of the blue,
I'll remember a conversation or something that happened weeks or even
months ago. I'll think of something that I should have said or done
or realized, and then obsess over that for the rest of the day.

Case in point:

A couple of weeks ago my friends Griffin and Crystal came to visit. I
don't remember how it came up, but Crystal said that the first video
that they ever showed on MTV was "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits.
Griffin and I of course told her that she was wrong. The first video
shown on MTV was "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles. She
didn't believe us, and had to go look it up online. Conversation
over. Then, this morning, in the shower, it suddenly hit me: There's
no way that Money for Nothing could have been the first video on MTV,
because it's making fun MTV. In particular, its about a blue collar
worker ("We gotta move these refrigerators, We gotta move these color
tv's") who is making fun of the rock stars that he sees on MTV and
their insignificant problems ("Maybe get a blister on your little
finger") while at the same time wishing that he could be doing that
himself ("I shoulda learned to play the guitar") and getting "money
for nothin' and chicks for free". So the song was definitely written
in a post-MTV world, which is a point that I should have brought up at
the time.

These are the things that I think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home