Friday, August 05, 2005

An Interesting Experiment

Today, as I arrived at work, I said hello to the secretary, as normal.  But, instead of responding in kind, she asked me a strange question.  "Do you use the Internet?".  "Um. . . yes", was my reply.  "Well not today!".  That's right boys and girls, no wasting time by pre-ranking my Fantasy Football draft list, reading 8-Bit Theater, or checking my e-mail a few dozen times.  The system . . . is down. (dum, dum, dum, dum, dodadoodaloo, dodadoodaloo, the system . . . is down).

I expected one of two things to happen.  Either I would be really bored all day, or I would get about twice as much work done as normal.  But, to tell the truth, neither happened.  Or maybe a little bit of both.  I don't think I got very much more done, but I didn't sit around playing solitaire either.  Maybe I just went a little bit slower and stared off into space a little more.  Maybe I took a little longer on my 10 a.m. Mountain Dew break or chatting with my boss.  But, it is nice to know that a little bit of net surfing isn't a big hit in my daily productivity.  Or maybe it's just a sign that my laziness will find a way to manifest itself no matter what the obstacle.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home