Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I'm Getting the Munchies

A few months ago, I watched the first season of the Showtime show Weeds.  When it first came out, I had written it off as pot culture humor, which is something that I've never been particularly in to.  But after the recommendations of people whose judgments I trust, I gave it a try.  And I really enjoyed it.  But I just finished season two and I have to say that they seriously stepped up their game.

What could have been a show of cheap sophomoric humor is actually one of the most intelligence shows on television.  It is funnier than every sit-com not named Curb Your Enthusiasm, but with richer character work than most TV dramas.  The show contains strong social commentary about our country's ridiculous drug policy and the problems of suburban life, but does so without being at all preachy.  And the music . . . incredible.  The show is full of indie music that always hits the exact right notes.

Season two ratchets up the the drama and storytelling.  While I enjoyed season 1, season 2 totally blew me away.  The only unfortunate thing is that it ends on a cliffhanger, and season three is currently in the middle of it's broadcast schedule, so I'm going to have to wait a while before I can find out what happens . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home