Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Podcasts

As I think I've mentioned before, I'm a big fan of listening to podcasts.  (Other than their name.  Really, 'podcast' is my second least favorite word to come out of the current tech boom . . . second only to blog).  For those not in the know, podcasts are kind of like a downloadable radio show.  I've always liked talk radio, but I find it impossible to structure my schedule around listening to a radio program.  It's hard enough to do that for TV shows (and thank God for DVRs).  If you use the iTunes Music Store, you can subscribe to podcasts about pretty much any subject you can think of, all for free.  They'll be automatically downloaded whenever a new episode is put out and you can either put them on your iPod or listen to them straight from your computer.  They're great to listen to at work (as long as you can multitask) or to break out of the monotony of long car trips.

My favorite podcast is This Week in Tech, which is put on by a bunch of former Tech TV show hosts.  It's a weekly look at most of the top stories on the forefront of geek culture.  While I already know most of the information that they talk about, they're still an entertaining bunch with interesting points of view.  The reason that I bring all of this up is that I was at school before class started yesterday and someone mentioned something that they had heard on TWiT.  I mentioned that I listened to the show as well.  As did the two other people who were in the room.  I thought that was pretty cool, to know that I'm not the only super-geek around.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home