Thursday, September 14, 2006

A Noble Plan Gone Awry

If you examine me on a genetic level, you would see that I am mostly composed of genes earned from my father's Page family.  Not only do I look like a Page, I have the same laid back, easy going attitude that my father exhibits.  I have very little of my mother's much more hot-blooded Bates heritage. 

Well, except for one thing.

I do have a very strong stubborn streak.  Especially when I become faced with the fact that I made a bad decision.  I would rather go down with the ship than admit defeat.  Sometimes I am able to control such a feeling.  But today was not such a day.

Today there was a blood drive at the student union.  I am a regular blood donor, so of course I decided to stop by and drop a pint during my lunch break between classes.  I arrived at the Foy ballroom at about 12:15, an hour and forty-five minutes before my next class.  Plenty of time, right?

Well, I didn't realize it, but they had allowed people to make appointments beforehand.  So, there was one line for appointments and one line for walk-ins.  And the appointment line was backlogged.  Still, they said the wait would only be an hour to an hour and a half.  No problem.

Fast forward to 1:50.  I really need to be heading to my Software Architecture class.  I have moved forward three spots in line.  This is where the stubbornness kicks in.  I'd be damned if I was going to just pick up and leave after I'd been sitting there for an hour and a half.  Dr. Hamilton would get over it.

Fast forward to 3:20.  I really need to be heading to my Information Security class.  But I'm at the front of the line!  I can't leave now!  Not after 3 freaking hours!  So I continued to sit through another class.

Finally, at 3:35 my name was called.  My blood was let, and I received my sticker and free t-shirt.  I actually could have made it for the last 45 minutes of class.  Yeah.  Like that was going to happen.

So, nameless stranger.  Enjoy the blood.  It should do you well, even if it is tainted by frustration and stubbornness.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why do you think you didn't get that stubborn streak from the Page family too...your grandmother Wilda Lee is certainly the most stubborn person I ever met and your dad is about as stubborn as they come...
love mom

10/07/2006 03:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home