Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Matter of Perspective

Today I made an impromptu trip from Andalusia to Auburn to deliver a bed to my new/old apartment.  After three years of making the Huntsville-Auburn trek (average time: four hours), the two hour trip up winding Highway 29 seemed like a pleasant Sunday drive.  Back when I was an undergrad, the same "Sunday drive" was an interminable haul that I hated making.  I guess after a semester or two I'll be back to feeling that way.

But, for now, I'm looking forward to the trip back.

Most of my friends are interstate warriors.  They'd rather hop on the interstate, set their cruise control at 10 mph over the speed limit and just ride.  Not me.  Give me a two-lane blacktop that winds through the woods.  A road that follows the lay of the land instead of one that blasted through it.  I love downshifting to third gear, hugging a tight corner and blasting into the straightaway.  I love passing the old pickup puttering at 35.  I just love driving.  And droning along on the interstate isn't driving.  This probably explains why I liked the movie Cars more than most.

Anyway, I'm rambling.  But I just wanted to explain myself to my Andalusia friends who think I'm crazy for taking 29 instead of the interstate.

1 Comments:

Blogger BigX said...

My reco's on the subject:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance

Mrs. Todd's Shortcut by Stephen King

Both eluded to a similar philosophy of the road. In fact, on one of my numerous trips from New Hampshire to Alabama, I had just finished listening to Mrs Todd's Shortcut (audio books rule) and it inspired me. I was between D.C. and Richmond when I saw the inevitable rush hour traffic ahead. I took a right. I drove...and drove. Then I took a left. I didn't know where the hell I was until I was in North Carolina. I don't know if it saved me any time, but it sure was a scenic drive.

7/11/2006 09:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home