Saturday, July 29, 2006

I Didn't Think it Possible!

Because of the limited space within my new residence, I came up with an interesting idea to reduce clutter. As I own a high definition television set, I decided to let it double as my computer monitor. While HD seems like awesome resolution while you're watching TV or movies, it is a little low for things such as word processing or web browsing. But that doesn't matter, since I have a laptop to handle that aspect of computing on. I could use my desktop as a gaming machine and media center, and my laptop for everything else.

Since my computer was to be a media center, I set about ripping all of my television that I own on DVD to my hard drive so that I can watch it in iTunes (bite me MPAA, you will never convince me that doesn't fall under "fair use") with random playlists and whatnot. The problem with buying television shows that you're already a fan of is that it is hard to find the time to actually go back and re-watch all of the episodes. As such, I own the first six seasons of Seinfeld, yet had never put most of the discs in my DVD player. Anyway, as I was ripping them and inputting the episode titles, I came across a description of an episode that I didn't remember.

Could it be?

So I watched said episode. It was the 22nd episode of season 4, titled "The Handicapped Spot". It involved the group searching for a parking spot at a mall, finally deciding on a handicapped spot, and coming out to find an angry mob waiting on them because a handicapped person had been unable to park there. The mob trashed the car, which happen to belong to George's father. Humor ensued.

And, as far as I can remember, I have never seen this episode before. When it comes to television, I basically have two all-time favorite shows. I'm notoriously bad at narrowing things down to just one pick (be it movies, music, books, whatever), so I divide my TV favorites into dramatic and comedic categories. In the drama department, it is Babylon 5. And in comedy it is Seinfeld. It has been several years since I had stumbled across an episode that I had never seen before. I cannot help but watch it whenever I find a rerun showing. And, depending on current line-ups, that can be as many as 5 or 6 a day. I thought that I had seen every single episode not just once, but dozens of times.

So, why hadn't I seen this particular episode? Chance? Maybe. The only thing that I can figure is that it aired before Jerry Stiller had been cast as George's father. Some guy named John Randolph played the part. But even that doesn't make complete sense, as I have seen "The Stakeout" on TV several times, which features another actor playing Jerry's dad, not Barney Martin.

Anyway, I find the whole matter very strange. It was a pretty good episode, too. Who knows, maybe I'll find another gem as I continue to buy the show as new box sets come out.

3 Comments:

Blogger BigX said...

Hmmm... I remember that episode, and I am far from a Seinfeld fanatic. I watch it a good deal, but I can say with 100% certainty I saw it as a rerun on television.I cannot be sure it was in this state however. Happy hunting.

8/05/2006 06:05:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It has occured to me since making this post that one of the trivia questions that gets shown regularly during TBS's daily airings is about the Cougar 9000, which is the wheelchair that George and Kramer bypass purchasing for the handicapped person, instead chosing a cheaper, used model.

Anyway, I've been doing some more research on the subject, and it actually appears that they re-filmed all of Frank Costanza's scenes with Jerry Stiller at a later date, which is the version used in syndication. I'm supprised that there is no mention of this on the DVD (in a later episode which hinged on a mayoral race they included two different versions of the episode in which one candidate or the other won).

Anyway, I guess it is just random chance that I had never seen this episode. Stranger things have happened.

8/06/2006 12:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Remeber another parking garage episode, the lost car one, I don't know if it was in season 4 but if it was Jerry and the higher ups could have desided it was a little redundent and not used it. It is suprising that it didn't mention anything about it. I have never seen it before either.

8/09/2006 10:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home