Tuesday, September 20, 2005

An Advertisement

You all should really be watching Arrested Development.  It's the best show on television.

That's right.  Let me expand on that, just in case you don't understand what I mean.  I'm not just saying that it is the best sit-com (not that there is a lot of competition in that department).  It is the single best show on TV.  AD is better than Lost, House, The Sopranos, 24, The West Wing, or CSI.  It's better than Family Guy, South Park, or The Simpsons.  It's better than Scrubs or even my beloved Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I've been thinking this for a while, but last night's season premier really confirmed it for me.  The show has never been as popular as it obviously should be, and was almost canceled at the end of last season.  Instead they gave it a new night and time (Mondays at 7 central).  So I was kind of expecting a simple episode, one to try and draw new viewers in.  Instead, it picked up right where last season left off, containing constant references to recurring jokes and all the obscure humor that makes the show so great.

But that is also the problem with the show.  While it is very rewarding to constant viewers, the show makes very little effort to explain what is going on.  There is a narrator, but usually his comments are actually part of the joke.  I'm sure people are confused by the fact that the "Next time on Arrested Development" segment is actually a gag referring back to something that happened in the previous episode.  And they're probably turned off by how damned mean all of the characters are to each other.  You really have to watch several episodes in a row before you fully grasp the style of humor (word of the day: acerbic).

It is all absolute genius though.  I'm not sure that the show will ever catch on like is should, and will probably never get it's full run.  But I'm going to enjoy every minute of it that I can.  And you should too.

P.S.  I have season one on DVD, and will have season two as soon as it comes out, so if anyone is interested in borrowing them, just ask.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home