Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Agony of Defeat

We all knew it had to happen sometime.

However, I can't help but be disappointed in the way we lost.

On Ga. Tech's first drive of the game, our defense looked completely lost.  I know that Tech's receiver Calvin Johnson had a good 10 inches on David Irons who was responsible for covering him.  But honestly, Johnson didn't have that big a game.  What was astounding to me was the way our defensive line got pushed around.  Tech doesn't have that great a running game, yet they were able to gain 5 yards pretty much at will.

Everyone will focus on Cox's 4 interceptions.  I instead prefer to focus on his 350 yds and 2 TDs.  His only problem was that we called 44 passing plays compared to 20 running plays.  That is not Auburn Football.  I was happy to see that in today's Huntsville Times, offensive coordinator Al Borges took full responsibility for poor play calling.  One of my biggest problems with Tuberville had always been his habit of trying to make excuses whenever we lose.  It's nice to see a coach standing up and saying "my bad".

I do find hope for the season.  We were not beaten by Ga. Tech.  We beat ourselves.  Despite all of our offensive and defensive problems, we were still in the game in the fourth quarter.  We lost because of critical mistakes.  Mistakes can be corrected.  At least, let's hope so.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that you're right Wiley. I'd like to see another huge season this year. The thing that pisses me off is that all the critics and writers now are going to throw out the big "I told you so" flag whenever Auburn's name gets brought up. They're going to say "We told you the offense be lost without Campbell, Brown and Cadillac. We told you the defense would suck without Rosegreen and Rogers." I was hoping that we'd prove them wrong this season as we have great players there still, and I think that Cox is going to be a great QB, much like Campbell is/was. Hopefully he'll get it together after this week.

9/07/2005 12:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home