Saturday, March 18, 2006

I'm a criminal

Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act

Abuse Incident Number:      ******************
Report Date/Time:           Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:55:53 -0500


Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Subscriber:

Comcast has received a notification of claimed infringement made under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the 'DMCA').  This notification, made by a copyright owner or its authorized agent, reports an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over Comcast's High-Speed Internet service (the 'Service').  The works identified in the notification of claimed infringement are listed below.  In accordance with the DMCA and Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy, Comcast request that you immediately remove the allegedly infringing works from the Service or Comcast will be forced to remove or block access to the works.

If you believe in good faith that the allegedly infringing works have been removed or blocked by mistake or misidentification, then you may send a counter notification to Comcast.  Upon Comcast's receipt of a counter notification that satisfies the requirements of the DMCA, Comcast will provide a copy of the counter notification to the party who sent the original notification of claimed infringement.  We will then follow the DMCA's procedures with respect to a received counter notification.

For more information regarding Comcast's copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy by clicking on the Terms of Service link at http://www.comcast.net.

Sincerely,
Comcast Network Abuse and Observance Team

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Infringing Work: Sopranos, The

Filepath: The.Sopranos.S06E01.HDTV.XviD
-LOL.avi.torrent
Filename: The.Sopranos.S06E01.HDTV.XviD-LOL.avi
First Found: 15 Mar 2006 21:21:52 EST (GMT -0500)
Last Found: 15 Mar 2006 21:21:52 EST (GMT -0500)
Filesize: 359,276k
IP Address: ***.***.***.***
IP Port: 6881
Network: BTPeers
Protocol: BitTorrent

4 Comments:

Blogger BigX said...

I can't help but be struck by the irony...I mean, The Sopranos right? I also couldn't help but be struck by the hotness of Heidi Fleiss in the opening montage...way to catch me up on last two years! Zing!

So what happens now? Sounded like a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo...you gonna be part of a class action prosecution or what? I'll send you a carton of smokes every week if you're sent to crime school...that goes for anyone else too. They'll be even more useful if you don't smoke em.

3/18/2006 09:09:00 PM  
Blogger Griffin "THE EMPIRE" Smith said...

v for vendetta man, viva la revolution!

3/19/2006 01:37:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The irony of being busted by a show about criminals was not lost on me.

And, while I appreciate the offer of smokes, I don't think I'm going to the clink. I'm pretty sure this was just a cease and desist order for sharing the file. But, since I was using bit torrent, you only are sharing while you are downloading, so I ceased and desisted as soon as I was able to watch the episode anyway.

If it were to go that far, however, I think it would make an interesting case for the EFF, or someone similar who wanted to come to my defense. You see, I am an HBO subscriber. I just happened to miss the episode because I was out with friends. I would have recorded it with my DVR, but because of the way that stupid Comcast works, I only have HBO on my non-digital TVs. (If I want to have digital HBO-HD, I'd have to subscribe to the whole HBO package and I don't give a damn about any of the movie channels, I just want basic HBO to watch shows like The Sopranos and Curb Your Enthusiasm). So, rather than waiting for the Wednesday night rerun, I just downloaded it. Although it is illegal, I cannot be convince that I did anything wrong . . .

3/19/2006 06:29:00 PM  
Blogger BigX said...

"Although it is illegal, I cannot be convince that I did anything wrong . . . "

Story of my life man.

3/20/2006 04:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home