Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A Jihad on Me

Last week on South Park, they did an episode about the Dutch Mohammad cartoon scandal.  At the end of the episode, when it came time to actually show Mohammad, they instead showed a message that said "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Mohammad on their network".  I, as well as most people who watched the episode, thought that this was a gag.  That they were being ironic in doing an episode about how wrong censorship was, and then censoring something.

That is incorrect.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker fully intended to show Mohammad.  Comedy Central really did censor the clip.  If you want to risk a Jihad being called down on your head, see the uncensored clip for yourself.

I really don't know what to say about this.  It is just wrong on so many levels.  I just can't believe Matt and Trey haven't been making a bigger stink about this.

2 Comments:

Blogger BigX said...

I think in a way, it proved their point. Let's not forget how on the 'next episode' part at the end of the previous episode said something like "will they show muh. on Family Guy on South Park? Or will Comedy Central be a bunch of..." well you remember it. Either way, I don't whether I should watch it or not...kinda got burned before messing with Middle East dark magic.

4/19/2006 05:33:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I actually think that it was funnier and more pointed the way it aired. But that's not the point.

The point is that Comedy Central was the one who pulled the punch.

I do understand Comedy Central's position. If violent protests were to erupt, they would feel responsible.

However, if I had a bully pulpit on the scale that CC does, I would have been willing to use it. I'm just disappointed that they weren't.

4/19/2006 10:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home