Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A Champion

If I had a vote in the AP or any other poll, I would vote Boise State number two.  And if Florida manages to overcome Ohio State next Monday, then they would get bumped to number one.  I believe in Boise.

Their crazy-good win over Oklahoma last night more than validates their undefeated season.  It points out the absolute ridiculousness of the fact that people can sit around, point to your unbeaten team, and say "I just don't think you deserve a shot at a title," and have that be the final say in the matter.  There is no longer any defense of the current system.  As badly as Auburn got screwed two years ago, at least there was an impossible choice that had to be made between a gaggle of undefeated teams.  This time, not only was an undefeated team passed over for one of many one loss teams, it was completely disregarded.  In fact, if not for a rule change this year, they wouldn't have even gotten their shot at Oklahoma.

Do I think that Boise State is a better team than Florida, USC, or Louisville?  Probably not.  But I believe that for one game, the team that I saw last night in the Fiesta Bowl could hang with and beat any team in the nation.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brickell said...

That was, as you put it, a 'crazy-good win'. Even if Ohio State loses (making Boise State the only undefeated team) I don't know about bumping them to #1, especially if they are made #1 by virtue of being undefeated. I hate to say it, but going undefeated in the WAC isn't exactly awe inspiring. There is a lot to be said for 1 loss teams from BCS conferences. I read a quote from Urban Meyer where he said that although his '04 Utah team was perhaps the best team he ever coached, he admitted that the chance of them going undefeated in a conference such as the SEC was very small. I think the same can be said for Boise State. However, based on the way they played last night, I do agree that BSU could hang with and possibly beat anyone. Don't get me wrong I loved seeing BSU beat Oklahoma (I still hold them responsible for stealing Auburn's title shot, even though I know it was the human voters that screwed Auburn). I hope that Boise State's victory will move us closer to some form of a playoff system (or at least a plus one game) because those boys from Idaho proved that games should be settled on the field, not in the polls.

1/02/2007 11:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home