Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A Question

I consider myself a pretty intelligent person.  Especially good at figuring things out.  But recently I have been pondering a pretty big question, and I honestly can't get a grip on it.

How the hell did the world work before the internet?

Seriously.

Can't work my head around it.

Here's what got me thinking about it.  I'm going to be in Vermont this summer for a wedding.  Some of my friends and I thought it would be fun to rent a cabin for the weekend instead of spreading out over a couple of hotels.  So what do I do?  Google of course.  The first results are the bigger "vacation package" type organizations.  Going through them would cost upwards of a couple of thousand dollars for the weekend, which is out of my range, even spread over a large group.  But dig a little deeper and I find some individuals renting vacation homes, much cheaper and more flexible.  I used Google Earth to figure out exactly where these places are in relation to where the wedding is going to be.  And now I'm in the process of emailing back and forth with a couple of people to finalize plans.

If you told me to find and book a cabin in central Vermont from south Alabama without using Google and email, I wouldn't have a clue about where to start.  A travel agent?  Then I would just wind up with one of those overpriced "vacation packages."  Maybe try and get in touch with some of the bride's family in the area?  For an anti-social person like myself? Yeah right.  I just don't know.

My point is this.  We live in a great time.  And I only see it getting better.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU AL GORE!

3/30/2007 02:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home